Friday, April 9, 2010

My Friend, Leslie!

My co-workers are really like a second family... and why wouldn't they be?  I see them more during the week than I do my hubby.  In my 2 years on the Training and Development team at SelectHealth, I have made friendships that I hope will last forever.  It's amazing to me how each new person you meet touches your life in some way... sometimes big, sometimes small... but every one is unique.

One of my co-workers, Leslie, is an amazing example of someone who has touched my life... for the better!

Leslie is one of those amazing people who spends her life in the service of others.  She volunteers at the "Road Home" homeless shelter in SLC, and is always encouraging everyone on our team to give more to the needy.  She has really inspired our team to do more out reach for the less fortunate... and she does it completely selflessly - she does it for the spirit of service.

Recently, Leslie celebrated her 20th anniversary with our company.  To honor her, our team celebrated by taking her on a suprise lunch to her favorite restaurant (Settebello - pizzeria).  Our boss told her it was a mandatory team meeting... so all week, we kept up the guise - making her think that our boss had some bad news to deliver.  When we surprised her at the restaurant, she was shocked - and grateful that we weren't all losing our jobs!!

To celebrate the way that she has touched our lives, I made her a memory book.  This memory book contained a memory from all 20 members of our team - telling why they love Leslie.  I included pictures of our team and left a few pages blank so that she could fill them up with her favorite memories. 

Here is what mine read:
Leslie is inspiring!!!


"So many people talk about how they love to serve others... and even brag about doing it often. Leslie is the first person I’ve ever met that actually lives her life this way. Not only is she dedicated to serving others, but she does it without expecting praise in return. She serves others simply for the sake of loving service, itself.

*Leslie – you are the kind of person that I am striving to be – and I am so thankful for your wonderful example of kindness and love!!*"

2 comments:

Kirstin said...

You did such a great job Brit--you are amazing!

PS - I still can't read your blog on my iPhone, or this comment would be left on Friday instead! :(

Sarah said...

Hi Brit! So I stumbled onto your blog! Hope you don't mind... Anyway, The book is adorable. I didn't know you scrapbooked? And yes, I agree, Leslie is amazing. Miss you!